Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Summer - Chanchoy Pharn

The best part of summer was working with my internship programs. The internship program I was working for was, Asian Health Services in Chinatown East Oakland, called bridging connections. The purpose of the program was to connect with your grand parents to know their stories, and life for them back then when they were kids, after connecting with your grand parent, you make a video or something to record it, and present it to other people. My time doing the program it was cool, because, I talk to my grandma a lot, so I already know about how life was for her when she was a kid. For me though, doing this program it was a good thing, because those stories she passed down to me, I could share it with other folks who wanted to learn about, other culture’s roots, and traditions before she passes away, and those untold stories will be forever gone with her. After presenting my project, I felt good about what I did, to show that young folks like myself aren’t just doing their own things, but they are interested in their cultures, and roots of where they come from, so when I get older, and I get grand kids myself, I am going to tell my stories too, as when I was a young kid their age. The second best part was spending time with my family from Las Angeles that came down to the bay area to visit. I got to see my baby nephew who is the ethnicity of Mien, and Mexican, and spend a lot of time with him before they went back, by playing with him, and taking him to the park. The third best thing of summer was playing basketball every week at the park with my family, and friends. Because we all share the same passion for the sport, that is why we love to play it from morning to night, even if the weather is dry or wet, we don’t care we just like to play basketball. Finally what topped my summer, is what I usually do every summer go to Las Angeles and enjoy the weather, go shopping, and site seeing. First off we went to West Field mall the one in Las Angeles is twice the size as the one in San Francisco, then I shopped for some clothing, and souvenirs as usual to bring back to the bay for my nephews, and my niece. Second whenever we are in Las Angeles, you know we got to go to San Diego, only about an hour and a half drive away depending if there is traffic or not. When we are in San Diego we have to do amazing things, so we go to San Diego, the biggest zoo I ever went too, it isn’t easy being at the zoo, if you want to see all the animals, and what the zoo has to offer it will take you the entire day just to explore the entire zoo ! But believe me take the time out and explore the entire zoo, because you from the bay all the way to Las Angeles then San Diego, so just spend the time relax, and have fun! After spending time at the zoo seeing all the wonderful sea creatures, and exotic mammals etc. we went to eat at a restaurant called “La Playa Bistro”, it was on the television show “Kitchen Nightmares”. The restaurant use to be horrible food, horrible service, and what not, but famous top chef “Gordan Ramsy”, took the time out and went to the restaurant “La Playa Bistro”, and help them from the bottom to the top, by fixing up the restaurant, giving their chefs better lessons on making better food, with true communicating skills to run a kitchen properly. Any who when, I tried their food I was shocked at how good it tasted, because it didn’t look as appetizing as I seen on television, but my taste buds were well satisfied. After we were done spending our time in San Diego, we went back to Las Angeles and went site seeing. We went to the most popular place they have for all the travelers to go to, we went to “Holly Wood Boulevard”. It was an amazing place with a lot of folks and a lot of things to offer, there was the wax museum, the golden dragon which they filmed the movie rush hour in, the Kodak camera building, the star walk which they have celebrity star’s on side walks for you to enjoy etc. My personal favorite was the star walk, because I got to see a lot of famous celebrity’s stars that I know, and take pictures with them so I can cherish the memories. Then after we where done we went back to my sister’s home at seven o clock at night. The crazy thing was even though it was seven o clock the weather outside was 110 degree, so we went swimming in her back yard to cool off. Then we decided to have a BBQ so we went to Rally Nobles to buy groceries then we had a BBQ in Las Angeles for our last day. After all was done we woke up and went back home from Las Angeles to the Bay Area!

No comments:

Post a Comment