Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Being in Cyber High - Kristina Lopez

The reason I am in cyber high is due to me transferring from a private school to a public school. In the private school I had gone to, the requirements I was meant to meet aren’t the same as the requirements I am meant to meet here. The requirements at my old school (Saint Mary’s College High school) were: 3 years of a math (C or above), 3 years of a science (C or above chemistry needed), 2 years of a language (C or above) 4 years of English (C or above) 1 year of P.E. and health (C or above), 3 years of a religion class (C or above), and 3 years of history (C or above). Upon transferring to this school I was put on flex schedule. The classes I was told to take were the ones I didn’t meet requirements for. Assuming requirements were the same at both schools, I told the school I would need to take Chemistry, English, History, and an elective class so I could be out by lunch and go to work. What Skyline hadn’t noticed at the time was I was missing credits to a class I thought I was finished with, P.E. and Health. Skylines requirements are almost the same from Saint Mary’s with the exception of, you need a D or above in each class and you need two years of P.E. Upon finding out I required two years of P.E. while Saint Mary’s only required a semester of P.E. and a semester of Health in my freshman year. I immediately called the school to see if there was any other options I could do then taking a P.E. class at school.

I came back to Skyline office and talked to Mr. Blye about my options and asked if I would really have to take a P.E. class that I desperately didn’t want to take and that I thought I was done with. I was given the option of either choosing P.E. or an online health class known as cyber High so I could make up the credits needed to graduate. I have never liked P.E. classes so of course my choice was the online health class cyber high. Plus already having taken a semester long health class I assumed it would be easier than normal to get everything done. So no I am not in this class due to a “F” in a class I didn’t finish or because I just didn’t take a mandated class I was originally supposed to take but because the school I went to required other subjects before P.E. and that’s just how it all played out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment