Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Being in Cyber High - Mindy Quach

During my freshman year of high school, you can say I wasn’t as focused as I needed to be. I was your typical freshman, too excited and apprehensive to be in a new bigger school. I wasn’t the type of kid who’d be rude and cause a lot of trouble; I was just the one who slacked off really hard. My teachers didn’t amuse me, class was so hard to stay in, and overall I just found it exceptionally difficult to have interest in anything. There were two classes that I failed to do anything in, Geometry and French.

In the beginning of the school year, I was doing well in my Geometry class. I took a lot of notes, and maintained at least a B. But once a few tests passed and things started getting slightly more arduous, I slowly started to lose touch with motivation. I came a little late to class each morning, and soon enough I didn’t go at all. My teacher, Mr. Tan, never called home or asked me what was going on or if I needed help with anything. It’s not his fault or anything! That just contributed to why I lacked the drive to do my assignments. I got D’s after D’s for each marking period, and nothing was done about it. My mom got me a tutor but that didn’t help at all.

As for French class, I started out venerating it. I loved the language, I loved the atmosphere of the classroom, and I was just super enthusiastic about taking a French course in high school. In middle school, I took Spanish for about 2 years, and people ridiculed me for not continuing that in high school since I already had a background in it, but I didn’t care. I was really into learning a whole new language. My teacher was Mr. Drovin, and as you may have heard, he doesn’t really work well with many students. Things started getting rough in the middle of the year, when I missed one day of class and fell off of my vocabulary for a little bit. It was hard to get back on top of my feet because I didn’t know many people in that class and since it didn’t really require having to talk to each other I never got the chance to meet anyone. I didn’t do so well on those vocabulary tests and Mr. Drovin would yell at me, and I like the naïve little freshman I was, I didn’t like it. I didn’t know his intention was for me to do better, at the time I thought he was just a mean person. So we argued a lot, and it got to the point where we’d be screaming at each other so I’d just leave class. That gave me F’s. I didn’t know where my head was, I gave up on school for a while. While I was earning straight A’s in English, Biology, World History and PE, I was earning the exact opposite in Geometry and French. I made up the language credits my sophomore year, but I left the math credits alone up until now. And that is why I’m here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment