Monday, August 29, 2011

My Summer - Brittney Rivers

The best part of my summer was working at a Carmen Flores recreation center and meeting the staff. While working with kids and being a role model to younger workers, I got to meet a wonderful staff. The staff at the rec. center was silly but professional. I easily fell in love with them and their boisterous personalities. I not only had fun hanging out with them, but I also learned how to be a better leader and a good friend. my best friend at the center is a girl named Joanna . She was always there for advice. The best people to hang out with were Susana and Errol. They always made me laugh and were still always eager to lend a helping hand.
Through this program I also got to go to the Keyshia Cole event in downtown Oakland. I also went to A’s games, Oakland Ice, roller rink, swimming at Fremont pool, great America, and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Other camps in Oakland attended the events with us and I got to meet some very unique individuals. This summer was my 4th year at the program but each year I notice that I end up meeting a lot of wonderful people who have their own special ways of making me smile.

The second best thing that happened to me was going to my family picnic with my mommy. Our family isn’t as close as it should be but once a year a certain group of my family gets together and has a BBQ. I enjoyed the experience because I got to learn about my family tree. I learned that our families last name is Lyons and that my great grandmother is Irish and from Louisiana. I love learning about my background because it gives me a sense of what our family has accomplished. There were a lot of people I haven’t seen in years and there were people I’ve never met before. I didn’t get to see one of my cousins that I’ve been wanting to see for the past 5 years , but other than that Im just happy that most of my family was there and happy.

The third best thing of my summer was meeting a girl named Breann. She’s had a tuff life and hasn’t been given the same opportunities that I have. She’s a beautiful girl and I’m happy I got to meet her. I never would’ve talked to her but I feel as though faith brought us together. I feel obligated to be there for her and support her no matter how mad she makes me. I sometimes hate the things she does but the love I have for her concurs all. This summer wasn’t as great as I expected but I enjoyed the experience as a whole.

1 comment:

  1. A smart person once told me, "If you have a fun job, working with people you like, it's like you never have to work at all!" I wonder if you got to feeling this way at the Carmen Flores rec center.

    ReplyDelete