Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Summer - Anthony Medina

My summer was by far the busiest summer I’ve ever had. Last July I signed up for a class called Bay EMT. This program is designed to teach students the basics of becoming an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and pass the national registry in five months. In June I got an acceptance later and a week later I began the class. When I began they told us about everything we would have to know and tell us all the things we would be tested on. Then they began teaching us CPR. I had never been so intimidated by a learning environment. The reason being was the whole class absorbed all the information so quickly then moved on to everything else so fast it caught me off guard. The class finally ended after 4 and a half hours and I went home, I wondered if all of it was even worth it. The time management I would have to implement into this class alone would require more self discipline and work then I had ever shown in any school setting. How would I manage this class AND school when it (school) started? What about everything I wanted to do besides the EMT class? It was summer after all, I didn’t want to spend the whole time away from friends and my girlfriend. How would I juggle the other class I was taking at the time? I would just have to wait and see. Tuesday came and went and Wednesday came (the EMT class is every Monday and Wednesday). This class wasn’t an overview or practicing a cool new skill, it was lecture. The most annoying, never ending writing I’ve done since school ended. I hate lectures. Give us the book, let me read and study, teach us skills, do anything else but make me sit down and get a cramp in my hand that will make me write ineligibly and give me a dull tipped pencil. At the end of the class they handed us each a book and gave us our first assignment: read two chapters and we’ll get quizzed on it next Monday. Of course though, I saved most of it until Sunday night. Eventually we hit a stride in the class; Monday being lecture and quiz days lasting three and a half hours, Wednesday being skills nights and lasting the same amount of time, and the occasional Sunday class which was a combination of both and lasting a total of seven hours each time. It went in this routine and still continues like that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment