Monday, August 29, 2011

My Summer - Leona Quinata Debita

The best part of summer was my trip to Hawaii. Right after freshman year ended, I flew to Hawaii with my older sister and aunt. Before we reached Oahu (one of the 8 Hawaiian Islands), we stopped at another island, which was Maui. We had a layover for 2 hours. Though we didn’t get to leave the airport, we spent time shopping at the shops in the airport and ate at the food court, until our next flight. Finally leaving Maui, after a 30 minute flight, we arrived at Oahu. My oldest brother and his family picked us up from the airport. During my stay there, I spent a lot of time with my family out site seeing and at the beach. On one of the hottest day there, we went to this beach called Ko’ Olina. It was one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. It was shaped as a half circle and the water was light blue. Surrounding the beach was white sand and coconut trees. We took a lot of pictures of us climbing the coconut trees and relaxing by the beach. Because it was too hot, my mom didn’t allow me to swim just yet, but after an hour, I eventually ran into the water. My brother and I swam to the deepest part. I tried to touch the bottom of the beach, but it was too far down I swam back up. After hours of swimming, we left the beach and went out for dinner. Other than swimming, we had many parties. I have a newborn niece, so we held a Christening for her. Many of my relatives, who I haven’t seen in years, attended the party. There was BBQ chicken and steak, rice, salad, and other kinds of food from our culture. Later that night, everyone was dancing, so my nieces and I started dancing. I was kind of embarrassed because I’m not a really good dancer, but I had so much fun. Because it was getting late and the music was loud, one of the neighbors called the cops. We lowered our music, but that didn’t stop us from partying. The cops eventually stayed a while and ate, since everyone there is like family. The party lasted to the next day, but I was one of the people who slept early. The next day was tiring because there was a lot to clean up, but it was fun because my cousins kept telling jokes. Two days following the party, was our “rest day”. But it wasn’t too long before we partied again. I was in Hawaii for 4th of July also, so I watched the fireworks too. There was a huge event at one of the Army bases, so my family and I went there. Other than us, there were about thousands of other people there. There was a carnival, but most of the rides were for little kids, so I didn’t ride many. Aside from rides, there was a huge concert. Many of the famous island bands performed, leading up to the fireworks, which was long but amazing. Two days after 4th of July, I left Hawaii. It was sad but I had so much fun. Hopefully next year I can go visit them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment