Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Being in Cyber High - Leona Quinata

Math has always been one of my favorite subjects until I got into high school. I would always be excited to come to math class every day. It was only last year, when I moved to California, and transferred to Alameda High School for the first semester of freshman year. During my time there, I struggled a lot in math. I believe it was because I didn’t understand the teacher and I didn’t do anything about it. Though her teaching skills weren’t all that great, I should’ve done something to help myself. Every day I would try my best to understand and speak up when I needed help, but I just didn’t seem to understand and didn’t feel like doing so. Because of this, I kind of gave up on that class because I felt it wasn’t worth doing if I was never going to understand. I would come in and do the work, but most of the time I didn’t know what to do. Even though, I still tried. In the end, I got a bad grade, I got a D. I believe I’m in cyber high because of the low grade I got for the semester. After the end of first semester, I transferred here to Skyline High School. I would say that the math class I was in when I came here was the best. Ever since I moved here, I grew to love math again. My teacher taught math very well. He would explain in detail and show examples. I understood him because he would teach us step by step and no matter what, if we didn’t understand, he would explain over and over again. He also made learning math fun because he incorporated geometry, which was the math class I was in, into the real world. He would show pictures of buildings, people, food, and other objects, and use geometry to explain their shapes, volumes, height, etc. We also did some fun projects that involved drawing and cutting. Every day in that class was fun and exciting because it was like learning every subject in one class. At the end of the marking period, at that time, I ended up getting a good grade. I improved a lot because I was determined to be good at math and I wanted to like it again. It was also because of the help from my teacher. Because my teacher taught us well, I didn’t really have to study that much for tests because I understood every single lesson that he taught. Usually the day before tests I would be nervous, but since I actually understood everything, I didn’t really have to worry or study that much. I grew to understand and like math again. Since I’m in cyber high, I plan to make up the credits that I’m missing. I want to continue trying my best and do whatever I need to do to make up my credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment