Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Something I’m Good At. Diane Le

My talent range does not reach a great length. I realize that I enjoy doing various different things, but I’m inconsistent. It never develops to a point where it becomes an acquired talent. However, for the things that peaks my interests, I decide to keep at it. This can be exceptionally rare, but everybody has at least one talent, including myself. My most prominent talent, in my opinion, is my ability to apply makeup well.

I started wearing makeup around 8th grade. It initiated with only lip gloss and a miniscule amount of eyeliner. Because I was still quite young, I did not want to go overboard on my makeup. I wanted to keep it minimal in order to look my age. In addition, my mother preferred that I didn’t wear a full face of makeup either. Around freshman year, I started to get into learning how to correctly apply it. I would go on YouTube and search up makeup tutorials and those makeup gurus would basically be my teachers. My skills during that time were not that substantial, I was still learning. There might not be a wrong and right to makeup, but there are some specific rules to follow. I always broke these rules. Over time, and after watching and studying numerous makeup tutorials, I reached a surprisingly advanced level for my age. Of course I still remain an amateur and I’m still learning at a now steady pace, but I’m extremely satisfied with the skills that I have acquired and developed throughout the few years.

For me, I consider makeup a form of art, not a tool to change to change your appearance. It’s similar to painting a picture. The only difference is that it’s on your face instead of a sheet of paper. There are eyeshadows, blushes, eyeliners, and foundations with different finishes, and brushes to achieve a unique purpose. I won’t deny that makeup covers up particular flaws that one has (because it undoubtedly does an excellent job if you have the right cosmetics). But I don’t consider that a negative thing. If one wants to cover up a few blemishes in order to have confidence in oneself, then I don’t see anything wrong with that. My motto is: Do whatever is necessary in order for you to have confidence in yourself. Also: Natural is beautiful, but makeup is glam.

Some of my favorite cosmetic brands to work with are MAC, Urban Decay, and NARS. All of their makeup is high quality and professional, so it is extensively enjoyable to apply. In addition, it does not make my face break out, which is always a plus. They have a very wide range of different products in a plethora of shades and colors. I really enjoy Urban Decay’s products primarily because of the fact that every year, they release a new eyeshadow palette composed of colors that are unique to that palette, in other words, limited edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment