Thursday, September 8, 2011

Someone I Admire- Tia Fihaki

Someone I admire is my grandma, Christine K. Mausia. She was a loving and caring person. She had a big part in raising me. From all the stories I heard about her life, inspires me to be a better person. She was a very talented person and she loved her life. She was diagnosed with Parkinson’s around her mid to late 40’s and instead of giving up, she fought for 20 years. At a young age, I had to start caring for her. I had to memorize her medications and the times she took them, I had to go to her appointments, and I had to help her walk from room to room at home. Even though it was difficult, I felt like I had to do it because she raised me. At first I didn’t like it and I always complained but as the years went on, I got used to it and plus I knew she would do the same for me if I was in the same predicament. I learned a lot about her childhood and how she met my grandpa. Everyday there was a new story and occasionally she would have some off the wall stories but the fact that we were able to converse, made it that much better. She was one of the only people I trusted and I told her everything. I knew I could trust her because after about an hour, she would forget that I even told her anything so I didn’t need to worry about anything I told her being repeated. She was a very trustworthy person. Last March she was diagnosed with End Stage Dementia and we were told she had a week to 6 months left. It broke my heart to know that the only person I knew I could really trust was slipping away. I spent almost every day and night at her bed side making sure she was comfortable. After about 2 weeks she couldn’t really say much but one thing I will always remember is when she told me that no matter what happens in life, I will never be alone. She will always be with me and when I feel like nobody understands me, just remember that she does and will. She passed on June 6. She’s always made a big impacted on my life and even though she’s gone now, I will never forget her. Her story will always motivate me when I need a little push to get through my day. Everything I do and accomplish isn’t for me, but for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment