Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Summer - Tracy Huynh

One thing I did over the summer was attend San Francisco's Gay Pride Parade. It was my first time going and I was honestly pretty excited. I never knew so man people could completely take over San Francisco. There was so much diversity, so many people dressed up, it was outrageous. The food was good too, I never had mango on a stick with chilli pepper.

This summer was more of a relaxed summer. I didn't really do anything too exciting, but I volunteered to be a participant in a youth organization called Safire (Sisterhood in Action For Issues of Reproductive Empowerment.) In this program we learned about gender, sexuality, and reproductive issues. It is usually a girls program, but this year they had the young men's program. It was mandatory to have a physical day so we had to pick either yoga or soccer. I picked yoga because I never had a class before, it was so different and relaxing. Hurt my limbs though.

Later on in the program, we were given the chance to go on a retreat to Occidental, California, where we learned how to garden, learn about the environment, and eat vegetarian food. It was like camping, but we didn't sleep in tents.

Then on our last day together as part of the program, we created an event where we would show what we learned through performances! It included poetry, singing, stories, skits, dances, etc. Everyone had a great night and I miss my fellow peers.

Other than that, I just hung out with friends. Caught up with old ones and went on adventures with new ones. We were just really anticipating our senior year. Oh, and I finally got my car. I've had my license for a couple of months and I was so stoked to finally be able to drive it. It's a 1992 Honda Accord. It's only a year older than me but it's my baby, I named it Accordian. Get it?

I went overboard on shopping. I went shopping so much in August alone combined with the other two months. I probably spent over $200. I really wanted to find a job during the summer, but no one was hiring. Oh well, I got paid $160 for being in Safire. Wow this summer story was pointless, I'm so boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment