Monday, August 29, 2011

My Summer - Daniela Osorio

This past summer has been full of ups and downs. Usually Summer is the time where the suns out, you can walk around in shorts and a tank top, and nothing else in the world matters but tanning, hanging out with friends, and just enjoying time away from school. Unfortunately, we live the state of California, where lately the weather has been changing faster than a girl changes clothes. There have been days where its gloomy as an October night, so its hard to remember that it summer sometimes. But then there are the days where it’s too hot to even wear clothes; those were my favorite.

On the hot summer days I’d usually make a trek out to Antioch to go hang out with my best friend who’s also my boyfriend Christian. Despite the almost hour long drive or bart ride into “hell”, considering its 5 times hotter than Oakland, I like it out there. The main reason I go out to Antioch is to hang out with Christian, and go swimming at his house. The beginning of my summer started off with sort of a slap to the face with Christian moving about 55 miles away, it really put a downer on what I had expected summer to be; spending endless hours with my favorite person. Although he lives about an hr away I still go to hang out with him and enjoy the old people things we like to do.

During the middle of summer, Christian and I heard that a really good old band known as The Animals was going to be performing a free concert at Santa Cruz Boardwalk, but they were performing as Eric Burdon and The Animals. Eric Burdon was founding member and vocalist of 1960’s band from England. The Animals were known for their hits “House of the Rising Sun”, “We gotta get out of this place”, and many more. After we heard this on the radio station The Band, we knew that we needed to go. Its kind of hard to see some of your favorite bands in concert considering that all of the bands were popular almost 50 to 40 years before you were born, so we seized this opportunity. I went to go see the Animals with Michael & Christian. At 70 years old, Eric Burdon has still got it! I’ve been to so many concerts from bands from this era, but none of them can compare. Music of today doesn’t have anything on music from back in the day. It was just a different feeling and environment. The vibe of the Eric Burdon was awesome and the crowd was definitely giving back good feedback.

That concert was only one small event out of my Summer. Although it was shorter than expected and I was faced with some difficult situations to get through, it was a good summer, and a nice way to start off my Senior Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment